Monday, March 7, 2011

My New Project

With my oven completed and the memory of that horrible Purdue loss to Iowa behind me I have finally decided what project I am going to start next.  I am going to work on my 2003 Suzuki RM125 dirt bike.  I been riding dirt bikes since I was 5 years old.  Since I am 30 now, I don't really remember a time when I did not have a dirt bike.  It has been a family thing.  My father, brother and myself spent a majority of our free time riding together and going on riding and camping trips as my brother and I were growing up.  Motorcycles have allowed me to create many friendships that I still have to this day.  I even met my wife at a motocross race.  Needless to say, motorcycles are a huge part of my life and always will be.  Because of this, I will always have a motorcycle or two that I ride and work on.  Over the past few years I have been riding a 250, which is a lot of fun, but 125's have always been my favorite to ride.  The 250's have more power and are faster, but they are heavier and they cause you to become a lazy rider.  125's are light and underpowered, so you have to really work to ride them.  It's great!  I've always missed this and, therefore, have always been looking for a good deal on a 125 so that I could have a 125 and 250.  This past winter I got a great deal on this 125.  The kid who owned it did not take care of it and caused some pretty significant motor damage and did not want to pay the $1200 that a motorcycle shop was going to charge him to fix it.  Because of this, he was selling it for next to nothing.  When I saw the ad in the paper I thought that it was too good to be true.  I got in touch with the owner to look at it and it was actually in a little better shape than I thought, but the motor was in rough shape.  As luck would have it, though, I had owned a motorcycle identical to this one when I was racing a lot and had all of the motor parts in my garage to fix it.  I also have the mechanical know how to fix it because my dad's philosophy has always been that if I was going to ride a dirt bike I had to be able to fix it.  (I think that I rebuilt my first engine at 9 years old)  Because of this, I knew that I would not have to put any more money into it in order to have a nice 125 to ride and so I bought it.  It has been sitting in my garage over the course of this frigid winter just begging to be fixed.  I took the motor apart and have pieces in my basement so that I could work on it while it was cold, but now that the weather is getting nice it is time to kick it into high gear and get this thing done and ride it.  I'm looking forward to the adventure, as I always am when I am working on a project bike, so I am sure that there will be many stories that I am reminded of from earlier years that I will probably share.  I will also try to have before and after photos of the motorcycle so that you can get a good idea of what I like to do.  I know that this probably isn't the most exciting topic for most of you to read about, but it's what I love to do and always will be.  I'm a guy, so it's difficult for me to write about snuggling up on the couch while reading a romance novel, or going shopping and trying on hundreds of outfits and shoes while catching up on the latest gossip.  Most of my posts will probably be about projects that I'm working on in the garage, motorcycles or sports (which is why my blog is called what it is).  I do appreciate all of you who have been reading and I do try to make my posts as entertaining as possible, seeing as how the content area probably isn't the most interesting for most people.  :) 

4 comments:

  1. I am in awe of anyone who can make something mechanical work. The journey working through your projects is what's interesting. I may not understand for visualize what you are saying but I enjoy reading your trials and tribulations along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the mantra is "write what you know". Your piece is interesting & informative. I will pass it on to my daughter, also a 'fix-it' person. She will understand it & appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arg--you beat me today!
    Another nice post though. I think hearing about this project will be cool. The sentence that starts "I'm a guy..." is really well done. I started laughing so loud the kids wanted to know what was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your thoughts. You have memories that connect in a special way. You write what you are passionate about.:)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete