Wednesday, March 2, 2011

One of Those Projects....

Have you ever had one of those projects that just wouldn't end?  I'm having one of those with my oven project for my classroom.  I thought that I would finish yesterday for sure, but I was so wrong.  Over the past 24 hours about everything that could go wrong with constructing this project has gone wrong.  Yesterday I pretty much had to paint  the outside, install the "burners", knobs, and oven rack.  Simple enough, right?  Well, I got the paint on without a problem.  The knobs went on without a hitch.  The first three burners were a breeze, but the last one splintered so I had to fill in a spot so that I could sand it and repaint it.  No biggie.  However, the oven rack has pretty much made itself my arch nemesis.  I am making it out of an old wire rack because I thought that it would be neat to make it look like a real oven rack.  Halfway through I thought of a way that I could make it slide in and out, which I thought would be cool.  In order to make it work I had to make a couple of extra cuts.  I made the cuts and got sidetracked with doing something else.  I came back and, not thinking, I cut it again.  This made it too narrow and it wouldn't fit at all.  I didn't have another rack to make work so I had to spend a couple of hours reconstructing things to make it work.  It also required me to drill holes into the finished and painted sides, so I had to fill the holes in and have to wait for the filler to dry so that I can sand and paint it again.  Since that requires a few hours I won't be able to finish it until tomorrow.  In the meantime I thought that I would put the finishing coat of paint on the door and put the plexiglass in for the window.  After painting the door I dropped it, which got sawdust and smudges all over the wet paint, so I had to wipe it down and repaint it.  Then when I was cutting the plexiglass it snapped in half.  Fortunately, I had another piece that was scratched, but the scratches aren't too noticeable.  I finally got that done so now I am just waiting for the filler to dry so that I can take one more shot at finishing it.  I'm exhausted...

3 comments:

  1. And I'm laughing! This is awesome--I can just see it unfolding. I am so glad you are doing the challenge, if for no other reason than hearing this story.
    Can't wait to hear what happens tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have created a monster in this oven. Although you are stressing, I am enjoying the story (and so glad this is not me). I'm with Ruth, can't wait for tomorrow's posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL--a great post! I know I have had projects like this--in school and out!

    ReplyDelete