Monday, March 21, 2011

The Voice That I Wish I Had

Today I had something happen that hasn't happened in an extremely long time:  I started losing my voice.  I still had it by the end of the day, but it was very raspy and grumbly and it was difficult to speak loud enough for the kids to hear.  Normally I would still be able to function like this because I could write down what I needed to say or I could sign to someone if they understood sign language.  However, I teach first grade so my kids can't read well enough for me to write everything down and I don't have any kids who understand sign language.  This causes a little bit of a dilemma for me because I'm trying to figure out how to teach a class that is a loud and difficult group anyways.  I know that many times if you aren't feeling well or can't speak loudly the kids will tend to be a little quieter so that they can hear and understand you.  Not the case with my crew.  I think that they felt that it was the green light to get louder and pay less attention.  So now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I am going to do for tomorrow if my voice doesn't come back. 

7 comments:

  1. I know! I know!
    Stay home.
    :)
    Hope you feel better and that the voice returns soon. Get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say stay home too, if you can. Do you have a little bell? Maybe the class will love a new thing & help you out? One of my co-teaches uses one with her primary students. Get well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, stay home if you can! Otherwise, a class meeting with whisper voices and charades of sorts might be in order: if you can get them on board as if it's a secret thing with you, they'll be better. Use gestures for things and require them to do it as well. Could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there!! Hoping your voice is back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there WAY too many times with first graders. Drink lots of liquids and save that voice. Give yourself permission to take a day off if needed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh-oh...Hopefully you were smart enough to stay away from that Ruth character, so you won't get too sick! Try that icky Emergen-C stuff. I've heard it works wonders for sore throats, etc. I can always come over and scare your class if you'd like. I'd consider it a pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better. Your class sounds interesting and full of energy. MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete