Thursday, March 17, 2011

Take a Seat

Today, since I'm still waiting for things to dry out, I thought that I would take the opportunity to replace my 250 seat cover with the one that matches my new graphics that I just installed.  Just putting a seat cover on isn't too difficult, but making it look nice can be a challenge.  If you don't do it right you can have a lot of wrinkles or, if the seat cover has colors/graphics like the one that I have does, you can install it to where the colors don't line up.  Either one of these scenarios can make a new seat cover look bad.  Because of this, you have to be meticulous about what you do.  First, you have to remove the old seat cover.  To do this you have to remove the staples that hold it on.  The base of the seat is made of plastic.  The seat covers are usually some type of vinyl or another material that make it a "gripper" seat cover, which is designed to keep you from sliding around.  What I do for removing the staples use a small flat head screwdriver and pry them up.  If both ends of the staple don't come out I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to remove the rest of it.  After the staples are out it's time to take the old cover off and begin working on the new one.  I typically start at the front of the seat (the part that is over the fuel tank) because the seat covers are designed to slide over the front part easier.  Next, I try to position the cover to the best of my ability and put a couple of staples in the back.  You can't use a standard swingline stapler, you have to use a shop grade stapler.  After I have the back tacked down I try to start working any possible wrinkles out by pulling it tight on the sides.  I usually do a little on one side and a little on another side until I feel that it looks good.  The true test is when you slide it on the bike because the seat will flex a little, which can lead to wrinkles.  Also, with having graphics on the seat cover it is important to try and line them up with the graphics on the side covers.  If all goes well things line up on the first try.  If not, you have to start removing staples and changing things to make it look good.  Fortunately, I got it right the first time and I have to admit that the bike looks pretty good.  Now it's time to go riding and get it dirty!  :)

2 comments:

  1. It's been interesting to read about all you do to maintain your bikes--even if you do plan to take them out and get them dirty. :)
    You're good at including the little details of what you do and why; as someone unfamiliar with what you are doing, it makes a big difference. I can tell you have a passion for your bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the seat cover change was a Houdini! Enjoy the weather and ride. It's always good to take pride in what you are doing. Being meticulous has its advantages. :)

    ReplyDelete