Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My project is finally coming to an end!!!

It's been a long time coming, but I am finally about finished with the toy oven that I have been working on for our school fun fair.  My class and our book buddies chose the theme of baking for our fun fair basket.  I don't know that it's a very interesting topic for most people, but that's what the kids wanted so that's what we went with.  Our kids and their families have donated cake and cookie mixes and various kitchen/baking utensils.  To try and make our basket a little more interesting I decided to build a wooden toy oven instead of using a plain old basket.  I mean, what kind of fun can you have putting a basket together if you can't use power tools and risk causing some bodily harm, right?  Needless to say, the project has taken a long time and has caused somewhat of a mess in my basement.  It's been so cold that I couldn't stand to work in the garage, so I transported my saws, lumber, drills and other various tools down to the basement.  It has caused quite a mess and I'm sure that my wife is more than irritated at me.  Fortunately, I will be putting on the first coat of paint on today.  That means that it's finally about finished!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great "basket" will go home with someone - and the mess will be long forgotten! Very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post and even more awesome wallpaper! How did you do that?? Am so glad that you decided to join the slicing challenge. By the way--now it's on--which of us will stick for the whole month? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your slice, but now I want to see a picture! What a fun idea to build a toy oven to use as a "basket." Everything is more fun with power tools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some little one will love the effort you have put into this "basket". Hope it goes for lots of cash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome! What a perfect Slice, although I can't say the same for your blog background. (I am an IU alumni.)Still, I'm glad to be slicing with you this month.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your own Shake'n Bake oven! Go Boilers!!! I have 3 sons that graduated from Purdue and a husband with an associate's degree, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Your words about pushing aside a simple basket and instead using power tools and lumber so cracked me up. This is just one more reason we need more men teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved hearing your voice especially "I mean, what kind of fun can you have putting a basket together if you can't use power tools and risk causing some bodily harm, right?". Your slice felt like you were talking to me. Great first slice. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete