Friday, March 4, 2011

Something's Missing

As I drove home from school today I had a sinking sensation in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong.  I thought that maybe it was because I am feeling a little under the weather.  I mean, I did come home and take a nap which is something that I NEVER do.  After waking up expecting to feel refreshed I still had a nagging feeling that something was wrong.  I got up and ran down to the basement and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  What I was feeling was a little bit of sadness that my oven project had finally come to an end.  No more using the Skil saw, chop saw or jigsaw, no more cutting, drilling or installing.  I couldn't believe that this void in my life was created by something that had caused me so much grief.  Don't get me wrong, we shared some good times like the first coat of paint, installing the knobs, putting the oven door on and who would forget our final photo session.  However, there were also many bumps in the road that some of you have read about.  After reflecting for a while I realized that I am truly going to miss that little oven.  I put a lot of work into it and I have to hope that somebody who will appreciate it and enjoy it will win it.  I will admit that the thought has crossed my mind to purchase a raffle ticket and try to win it myself so that I could return it to its place of creation, but then I thought "I don't have any kids and my wife would think that I was completely off of my rocker if I brought it back home."  Besides, I needed to dig deep and find my Boilermaker pride and be glad that I did not have to worry about finishing it anymore.  I guess that I am going to have to find another project to focus on and keep myself occupied.  I know that my wife wants me to make her a scrapbooking cabinet and I've got a couple of dirt bikes that I need to work on so I'm sure that I'll figure something out!  Thanks to all of you that have followed along with me on this adventure.  Hopefully there will be others to come.  If I'm the one working on something you can never be sure what is going to happen next.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Glad to know that:
    1. you got a nap (I'm jealous)
    2. you have other projects in mind (I'm sure your wife will be relieved)

    Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like an all-consuming, and frustration-filled, project to give you a sense of purpose and accomplishment. And when you are done, that sense of loss. Good luck with whatever project you decide to take on next.

    ReplyDelete