Friday, March 11, 2011

Tourney Time is Here

Around 11:30 this morning I realized that I made a huge mistake by going back to work.  I mean, I felt well enough to go to work but if I would have just taken one more day off I would have been able to watch some serious Big Ten basketball.  I have 2 favorite teams when it comes to college sports:  Purdue and whoever is playing Ohio State.  After school I frantically brought up the scores of the games from today and saw that Northwestern lost to Ohio State in overtime.  I couldn't help but think that if I would have been in my peaceful home on the couch rooting for Northwestern instead of being in my room that was chaos from the students having a sub for the past two days that maybe I could have somehow willed the wildcats to pull off the upset of the Big Ten tournament.  However, I wasn't that fortunate and because of that I am going to have to root for Purdue even harder than usual to try and help them succeed.  Yeah, I'm that fan; the one that thinks that by watching the game they can help the team win, or that by arguing with the television the calls will be magically reversed.  If Purdue is winning before I turn to the game and then I start watching and they start playing poorly I change the channel because I don't want to bring bad karma to the team.  I'm that fan and I don't care.  I'm proud to support my team and if I have to look like a lunatic doing it that is fine.  That being said, it's tournament time and the Boilermakers have something to prove so I'm going to be right there cheering and yelling for them every step of the way.  Boiler Up!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love this. My sister's friend is a major Michigan fan and follows the same belief system as you. Absolutely superstitious about his involvement in the winning or losing of his team. I love it! If you can't have that kind of passion and faith in something than what's the point!? I enjoyed your opening statements. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOILER UP! Need I say more? I passed up going along on a fun errand with my husband and one of the kids because I was afraid I'd miss tip off.
    And no worries--if we're winning and I'm watching, I won't change the channel. Not even during time outs. I'll also make popcorn if it looks like we're slipping. Did you know that they do better when I make/eat popcorn during the game? No kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you embrace your superstition rather than brush it off, pretending you're not! Good luck to your teams.

    ReplyDelete