Thursday, March 10, 2011

Next Step: Wheels

I was home from work again today and was going crazy so I decided to get working on a set of wheels for my dirt bike.  Once again it is something that I could do while on the couch, so I thought that it would be a good project.  I am changing the rims from silver to yellow, which makes the bike look totally different.  I had already removed the silver rims, so it was time to put the yellow ones on.  This is a very time consuming task because you have to install and adjust each individual spoke on the wheel.  When you assemble wheel it is called "lacing" a wheel.  After I got the front wheel laced I had to begin adjusting the spokes.  This is what takes so long.  This process is called "truing" a wheel.  When you are truing a wheel you are trying to make it so that it does not bounce up and down and does not wobble side to side.  It gets to be very tedious, but is necessary if you want it to be done right.  I would sit up and work for a while and then lay down for a while.  After a few hours of being up and down I finally got the front wheel done.  It looks good and I'm excited to get the rear done so that I can get them on the bike.  That will be another project for another day, though.  For now I am going to try and get some rest so that I am feeling better and can put some serious work into this motorcycle.

3 comments:

  1. I learned a lot from your post. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL!

    This reminds of my brother. One summer, when he was about 12, he bought all sorts of bicycles from yard sales and flea markets. He would take them home, harvest parts and add them to the bike he was building. One day, he was riding down the hill in front of our parents house and the front wheel fell off and he went head first over the front of the bike. He learned an important lesson about tightening bolts that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man--I had no idea you had to do that part by hand! Sounds tedious and difficult. I can tell you are really into this bike!
    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete